Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Henry WIP Continued...


So...here's where I am today. The blue shirt is my preference to the pink one in the ref photo as he's definitely a "boy" boy...and he doesn't like that shirt anyway. This is with one pass on the blue...gotta decide how much darker for that shadow to go, but needed to at least get some basic blue in. I also did a light purple wash over his shadow side of the face and took the sun spot down a bit...it was just too bright. Added some scarlet lake to the jaw in deep shadow...right on the edge...but it doesn't show up in this photo. I do sorta like the way his left shoulder blends into the background and I was going to lighten the background...may just leave it now so I'll keep that lost edge there.

9 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Mollie! You have really caught the light. You are really getting on with the portrait likenesses! Will this make a portrait for all of the kiddos now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I've been learning about lost edges. I was at a workshop recently and he said to use the "lost and found" approach. Lose an edge, find an edge. He said that's how you tell the difference between a beginner and an experienced artist. The experienced artist knows how to lose edges effectively. I'd say you've got that mastered! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Nita...I've actually enjoying this new "tippy toe" technique.

    And Katherine...thanks for noting the "lost edge". It does seem to make for more interesting paintings, doesn't it. Thanks for looking in...I always appreciate the support here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is just perfect Mollie. Love the look of sunlight kissing his skin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Ann...I always value your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is going great...would love to see the finished version.The light is coming long very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh My Mollie! What a great development of the value and color! The painting is so alive and the face is so 3D. Wonderful art!
    Thanks,
    Irina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mollie, this looks wonderful. I can't figure out why my computer wont send me peoples blogs when they post something. I saw your blog on Mary's blog! your portrait is going great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much Arti, Irina and Suzy. I've finished "Henry" now (I think) and am living with him for a bit longer before I frame him for my son. This tippy-toeing into a painting was new to me, but I'll admit that I do rather like the softer look of the skin...especially on a child. Thanks for stopping by...

    ReplyDelete