Monday, April 16, 2012

Monochromatic Exercise

Here is a little fun exercise I did yesterday for a challenge on PaintingFriends...a monochromatic painting using just one color.  I chose DS phalo blue and sorta cheated in that I just used one of the poppies I'd finished painting for another challenge.  Seems like we're always doing something on that forum.  It's funny how you see things easier when you've already painting a particular subject once.  I did have to think about what I was doing a bit more than my usual spontaneous way of painting in that the values must be done carefully and the glazes must be done on completely dry previous washes so they won't lift and turn grainy.  The yellow tint there on the left is my camera acting up.   This was fun.  Now...I really must get back to that crystal decantur...

11 comments:

  1. Very nice Mollie, but yes the crystal lol I have been waiting : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha..I'm getting a little flack about not getting back to it...guess I'll have to shape my act up and finish. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that! I find the monochromatic pieces really stunning. I enjoyed reading what you said about your thought process too, that you had to really concentrate on the values, in the absence of color. I remember an artist in a workshop saying 'value does all the work, and color gets all the credit'. I love the colored flowers too, though! They are so full of life and have such fresh clean colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks good, but, your comment and Krista's made me go look at the crystal decanter. ha. My favorite monochromatic watercolor is Winston Churchill's of his dining room with family and friends seated around it. He did it in blue as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mollie, this looks fantastic...but not as fantastic as you decanter is going to be:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Katherine...that's so true about values. I put the comment on another forum I enjoy...PaintingFriends. Thanks for reminding me.

    Thanks Liana...blue has always been my favorite color, but my favorite color to paint is red...hope you enjoy the crystal...I'm going to work on it this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Christiane...I'm determined to get it done. The facets have given me a bit of trouble with this one as the decantur is basically empty in that you can see thru the liquid so I'm having to think and rethink the values. Hopefully, it'll turn out to your satisfaction...and mine...ha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mollie your art is lovely. What a gorgeous monochromatic poppy. Love the ones with color as well. Thank you for sharing. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Debbie...glad you enjoyed the poppies...they're really fun to paint as you can't "mess" them up. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Mollie this is really nice. Monochromatic painting are always so soft. You did great! Love it..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Christiane...you really can fool with values when you work in mono...I don't do it often, but it is run.

    ReplyDelete