Friday, April 9, 2010

Cutie Oranges


Thought I'd post an almost finished little painting that we're doing on my Painting Friends Blog. One of the artists drew the oranges, painted them and posted a "how to" demo for 4 or 5 steps along with the colors she used. The oranges were predominately quin coral and it almost "ate my lunch". Really had trouble with the brightness and I guess I just used too much. The base wash was of new gamboge and that made the oranges even brighter I guess. Anyway, I had to resort to going back with quin burnt orange to tone it down...and it's still pretty bright. I still need to go back in and define the slices a bit more. The demo used masking for the slice veins and I was too lazy to use it so this could be a whole lot better with masking and more layering. May paint it again and reposition the oranges and peelings just for fun as it is small (8x10) and was a good quick exercise.

6 comments:

  1. Preciosa acuarela...!! bellisima un beso grande desde Argentina

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous Mollie, and I love the colour. I also love the wonderful colours captured in the whites...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Maria and Stephie. This was fun to paint with all the brights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmmmmm?? haven't i seen this painting somewhere before...?? LOL

    mollie.. even tho you think this got away from you.. i think it turned out really nice..., thank for you great critique,as well!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm agreeing with everyone - the colors are strong and I like the impact it has especially against the softer background. You do such beautiful work and I'm tickled you did this project.

    ReplyDelete