Thursday, September 10, 2009

Strawberry Wine

 

This painting is for my ArtColony blog for the month of September and our subject was "booze". My husband brought this beautiful set of Irish crystal home from one of his trips to Europe and it is one of my favorite wine glasses...maybe a bit small, but still a beautiful cut. My original thought was to paint the huge Miller Lite balloon bottle I photographed outside the Dallas Cowboy stadium last month, but my colors turned to mud after several passes so it was junked. I'll admit that I had trouble coming up with a new piece in my mind's eye after settling on the beer bottle, but when in doubt...I always love painting crystal. I am not sure that I love the shades of grey in the piece, but did try to limit my colors to just a small palette as I completed this from drawing to finishing in about 3 hours. Decided not to go back in and clean up and soften some edges on the crystal as it was actually time to enjoy that little glass of wine and munch on that delicious strawberry.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. What a bright and charming piece of work! I really like the design and the glass work the way it is portrayed. I think you can do any painting that you set your heart and mind to. So the doors are wide open for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mary. You know how I enjoy this crystal stuff. And, I can't remember when I've done a painting without having a good bit of red in it. Maybe that strong color slant is why I don't seem to have any interest in landscapes. I'd make them too gaudy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mollie! It's Stacey Foster from Debbie's class. Love this piece! You are amazing. Love your blog! I am so bummed I won't make it tomorrow... my husbands company is doing a carnival and I am the face painter at 10am. I have your catalog and would love to purchase some paper with the group. I have your ph# and will call you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stacey. Good to hear from you. Thanks for the compliments. I won't be painting with the group either this week, so maybe next week. Will look forward to your call. Have fun at the carnival:)

    ReplyDelete